Thursday, June 26, 2008

Watch out Mel

Definately worthy of a "check it out this".
The only show I've been addicted to since The Office. The Flight of the Conchords won me over the first time I saw them on Conan performing about a year ago. I had the episode on TiVo and watched it like 50 times. Since then, the cravable subtle humor kept me coming back for more, as I watched little tidbits of their HBO sitcom (on HBO for a reason, it's a little risque at times) on the internet (since we don't have HBO). I was drawn in even more by their brilliant Pet Shop Boys sound-alike song Inner City Pressure and when I saw Jemaine as "1986 David Bowie from the movie Labyrinth" I was overcome with emotion. (Labyrinth being a movie that my siblings and I watched over 1000 times growing up). Finally, we just rented the first season and watched it over and over again on a real TV screen :) My fav episodes are Mugged, Bowie and The Actor. The songs are super funny and witty, but the acting and dialogue (and addition of Murray the band manager's character) on the show are just genius. Mad props for the guys who invented hip hop in New Zealand at a BBQ. Needless to say, Mel isn't the only member of the "American Fan Base" anymore.



3 comments:

tyson said...

This is a fantastic show.. and I'm glad that you picked up on the Pet Shop Boys/Inner City Pressure similarities.. I thought I was the only one. I just recently started wearing an eye patch and have gotten fantastic results. It hasn't affected my depth perception, luckily. Thanks David Bowie from Ziggy Stardust!

Danielle Locken said...

do you have many wardrobe ch ch ch ch changes?

we have the first season, let's have a party.

Danielle Locken said...

ps . . . we found salvation mountain by asking the gas station attendant if he knew of anything interesting to see in the area. we should go on road trips with anne.